Cryptocurrency (such as Bitcoin and Etherium) is a virtual currency that uses cryptography to guarantee anonymity and anti-counterfeit features, enabling those who use it to make transactions without being regulated by government or banking institutions.
In order to generate cryptocurrency criminals have turned to cryptojacking and cryptomining. It is a new attack wave that started hitting the media in 2017, but reached momentum in the past few months, by employing advanced tools to penetrate large enterprises and SCADA systems.
READ THIS WHITEPAPER
To learn more about the following:
- How cryptomining is becoming a serious business and security concern
- Why cryptomining can go undetected for a long period of time
- The emergence of Coinhive and how it is abused by cybercriminals to infect your environment
- Why cryptomining has become increasingly more popular than ransomware
- The evolution of Coin Miners vs Ransomware throughout the world
- Why they are targeting datacenters and cloud infrastructures
BUT THERE’S GOOD NEWS
Bitdefender GravityZone Elite and Bitdefender Hypervisor Introspection (HVI) can prevent this type of attack from reaching your network by detecting zero-day or advanced kernel-level exploits that are used to penetrate the infrastructure.